Wednesday, August 6, 2014

~Today My Toddler~


Today my toddler...
  • Rubbed yogurt on his legs as if it were lotion.
  • Got a matchbox car stuck in his mouth as I drove down the highway.
  • Trapped his head under the screen door as he tried to go outside.
  • Stood in the laundry basket, full of clean yet wrinkled clothes, and ate a piece of pizza.
  • Choked on orange juice and spit it out on the floor.
  • Bumped his head.
  • Busted his lip.
  • Tripped down the stairs.
  • Climbed into his brother's loft bed & spun the ceiling fan.
  • Teased the dog with pieces of her dog food.
  • Teased the dog with pieces of his own food.
  • Chased the dog.
  • Cried when the dog chased him.

Yet he also…
  • Greeted me in the morning with a squeal & a hug.
  • Gave me more kisses than I can recall.
  • Took a nap in my arms.
  • Laughed and giggled so much he could barely stand.
  • Somersaulted around the room.
  • Entertained his sisters.
  • Played with his brother.
  • Held his daddy.
  • Snuggled the dog.
As we put him down for bed, I am overwhelmed with a thought--we will never experience today again.  The crazies will still occur, the special times will still take place.  But today?  Today can never end with, "Thank goodness it's over!". Instead, I need to finish everyday with the words, "Dear God, thank you for every moment."

**While these thoughts and experiences are completely my own, I've been impacted by watching many dear St. Jude families who treasure every day in ways I can't even begin to grasp.  Julie Locke, the mother of Dax Locke and the founder of The Dax Locke Foundation ends everything she writes with "Cherish Every Moment" and has made this the foundation's slogan.  Julie's walk with her Savior & the way she celebrates both of her children have convicted me to never wish away my current season of life.**

No comments:

Post a Comment